Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC) Requirements in New Hampshire

New Hampshire addiction counselors are credentialed by the New Hampshire Board of Licensing for Alcohol and Other Drug Use Professionals. There are two levels of licensing, which are distinguished by educational level. A person can qualify as a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC) with an associate’s or baccalaureate degree. The Master Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (MLADC) requires a master’s degree.

The Board also issues Certified Recovery Support Worker and Clinical Supervisor credentials. One can become a Certified Recovery Support Worker with a high school education.

Select a New Hampshire Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor topic below…

Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC) Requirements

The foundation for a LADC license is a qualifying associate’s or bachelor’s degree ( If the degree is at the associate’s level, it should be in addiction studies or substance abuse counseling. The Board will also accept degrees deemed equivalent. A bachelor’s in psychology, social work, or another human services or clinical mental health discipline is qualifying.

Candidates with degrees at either level must complete 270 hours of education in drug and alcohol use. These hours may or may not be earned in conjunction with the qualifying degree. The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services, Bureau of Drug and Alcohol Services has provided a list of in-state alcohol and drug counseling programs (

An individual with an associate’s degree will need 6,000 hours of supervised practice while one with a baccalaureate will only need 4,000. 300 hours of supervised practical training will be required regardless of degree level. The 300 hours do not have to be obtained as part of the qualifying degree program; they may be a part of the supervised work experience or may be pursued separately.

The candidate must pass an examination administered by the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium/Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse (IC&RC). The examination process includes submission of a case study (

Master Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (MLADC) Requirements

A Master Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor will need to complete a master’s degree program that includes clinical coursework and internship ( The degree may be in clinical psychology, clinical mental health, social work, substance abuse treatment, human services, or another discipline deemed equivalent. The master’s program should be at least 60 semester hours, though the Board will allow graduates of shorter master’s programs to take additional coursework and make up the difference. The student will need 270 hours of education in alcohol and drug use; credit will be awarded for relevant education that was included as part of the degree program.

The professional will need 3,000 hours of post-master internship; this is to include experience with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders. The Board will credit up to 1,500 hours for experience attained as a CADC. A professional licensed by the Mental Health Board can have 1,500 hours credited (

Candidates who are not licensed as LADCs will need to take the qualifying exam. Additionally, the candidate will need to take an examination in substance use/ co-occurring disorders. Candidates already licensed as mental health professionals will be exempted.

Some MLADCs were licensed under older regulations. Those who were ‘grandfathered’ have until September 4, 2015 to meet new standards, including the 60-semester hour requirement; otherwise, their license will become ‘LADC’. The New Hampshire Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors Association is a resource for those working to meet the new standards (

Sponsored Content

The Application Process

Applicants can contact the Board to initiate the application process. They will need to have fingerprints made by a law enforcement agency or a Department of Safety employee. The fingerprint cards must be submitted to the Board along with a records release. Candidates can expect to pay $260 in application fees and $100 in examination fees ( A candidate who needs to retake the examination will pay an additional $100.

Clinical Supervisor Requirements

In order to be certified as a clinical supervisor, an LADC or MLADC must have 10,000 hours of substance abuse counseling experience and 4,000 hours of experience in a supervisory role ( The 4,000 hour supervisory experience requirement may be included within the 10,000 hours of total experience. Candidates will need 200 hours of supervision and 30 hours of education relevant to the supervisor’s role. An additional examination will be required.


The Board has the authority to license out-of-state addiction counselors who were credentialed on the basis of similar or higher requirements (

New Hampshire is a member board of the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium. Professionals who hold reciprocal level credentialing in other member jurisdictions can contact the IC&RC ( The reciprocity process will entail payment of a $100 fee.

Additional Information

The New Hampshire Board of Licensing for Alcohol and Other Drug Use Professionals can be reached at (603) 271-6761 or NHLADC at Licensing information is found online at

The New Hampshire Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors Association ( and the New Hampshire Center for Excellence ( are additional professional resources. The New Hampshire Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors Association is the state’s NAADAC affiliate.

Sponsored Content